About Vetiver Plant:
The scientific title of Vetiver is Chrysopogon zizanioides belonging to household Poaceae (grass household). In India, Vetiver is usually referred to as ‘Khus.’ Vetiver is a kind of multipurpose grasses which are economically and ecologically vital.
Vetiver is a bunch-grass that may develop as much as 5 toes tall. Leaves are lengthy and linear with sharp margins. Flowers seem in brownish purple inflorescence. Vetiver plant has finely structured and highly effective rooting system which grows downwards in soil even as much as 13 toes deep. Roots of vetiver are most helpful a part of the plant as they comprise fragrant important oils.
How to Grow Vetiver:
Vetiver is a hardy plant that may tolerate excessive circumstances like poor soil, drought, deep water stream and waterlogging. Therefore additionally it is appropriate for planting in infertile soil, barren lands, and open fields that are in any other case not used for cultivation of standard crops.
Because of the big rooting system, Vetiver is just not grown in pots and containers. The plant is completely grown on the open sunny floor in sandy-loam soil. Propagation is completed by a division of offsets from outdated crops. In India, the plantation is completed in June.
An older plant is solely uprooted earlier than summers to reap Vetiver roots. Essential oil is extracted from plant roots by steam distillation technique. Fresh roots are additionally used for his or her medicinal properties. Dry roots are used to organize numerous summer-friendly merchandise.
Plantation for Soil and Water Conservation:
Vetiver plant can shield the soil and water from erosion. Therefore it’s planted on the fringe of farmlands, river banks, and small ponds. Vetiver roots additionally maintain on to the flowing water, thus lowering its floor runoff and serving to water to percolate within the floor. It can also be planted to loosen the extremely compacted soil.
Uses of Vetiver in Summer:
- According to Ayurveda, Vetiver has candy, contemporary, soothing and nice properties. It is used to organize Khus syrup and Khus oil. In Indian markets, vetiver can also be out there within the type of fragrant fibrous roots.
- In summers, a bunch of contemporary Vetiver roots is put within the earthen pot (Matka) to maintain family consuming water cool and aromatic. This water could be very helpful to treatment urinary problems that will happen in summers.
- Khus syrup is a classy summer season chilly drink in South Asia. This darkish inexperienced syrup with woody flavour reduces burning within the abdomen that happens in summers resulting from ‘Pitta.’ It can also be used to flavour Lassi, milkshakes, yogurt and icecreams.
- Vetiver is used to treatment summer-related pores and skin ailments. Fresh Vetiver roots are added to day by day bathing water to eliminate solar rashes.
- Vetiver oil is utilized in numerous natural skincare merchandise like cleaning soap, face wash and different lotions. It is used for its antiseptic properties to deal with zits and sores.
- In perfumes, Vetiver important oil is a big ingredient current in 90% of western perfumes. In India, it’s well-known as ‘Khus attar,’ a historically concentrated fragrance primarily utilized by males.
- Vetiver in a cooler: In India, as an alternative of straw or wooden, dry roots of Vetiver are utilized in evaporative coolers. Vetiver root padding additionally counters the odour brought about because of the progress of algae and microorganisms in such coolers
- Vetiver curtains: Mats made by weaving vetiver roots and binding them with ropes or cords are utilized in India to chill rooms in a home throughout summer season. The mats are sometimes hung in doorways, home windows as curtains. These are stored moist by spraying with water periodically; they cool the passing air, in addition to emit a contemporary aroma.
- Vetiver hat: Wearing a hat or cap made out of Vetiver fibre protects from the tough and direct daylight. Little water is sprinkled on these hats earlier than sporting within the afternoon solar, as it’s able to shielding one from sunstroke. Read about the way to shield crops in Summer?
- Apart from these, Vetiver can also be used for crop safety in agriculture. Vetiver roots are insect and pest repellents. Vetiver grass is superb fodder for farmyard animals. Vetiver root fibre can also be added to building materials.
Read More About Top 10 Garden Plants That Soak up the Summer Sun.